Cabbage soup. It’s easy, delicious, and so good for you. Cabbage is low in calories, low in fat and high in fiber and potassium. It has Vitamin C, Vitamin K, antioxidants and it fills you up!
Make a whole batch and keep it in the fridge for the next week. I usually have a bowl of the soup with a salad and a few crackers. Perfect lunch.
My German relatives gave me an appreciation for cabbage as a kid. If you haven’t yet developed your appreciation for this vegetable, maybe this recipe will help!
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, roughly diced or 2-3 leeks
- 1 head medium green cabbage, coarsely chopped with the core removed
- 1 can Rotel
- 2 tsps olive oil
- 32 oz chicken broth
- Scallions for garnish
- Saute diced onion or leek and garlic in olive oil until fragrant
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil
- Add chopped cabbage and turn down to a simmer. Cover.
- Let the soup simmer until the cabbage is tender – about 15 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste at this point
- Add 1-2 cans Rotel tomato and green chili mix. If you’d rather avoid the spice, you can substitute fresh or canned red tomatoes
- Garnish with scallions and enjoy!